Friday, November 30, 2007

Live from Patagonia

I've been writing fairly lengthy entries about my trip to El Bolson in a notebook, and I'll get those up on the internet as soon as I return to Buenos Aires. For now, though, a quick summary of the key points.

-The town is incredibly beautiful. It's not much more than a little road with some restaurants, shops, and a Mormon church, but the landscape is dominated by Piltriquitron, a massive mountain that looms over us. El Bolson is so close to the peak that I want to say we're literally in the shadow of Piltriquitron, although that's not quite true since the mountain is to our east, and we're only in the shadow of Piltriquitron very early in the morning.

-I haven't paid for a meal yet. The first night, I hung out with the people running the jazz festival, a kind and casual bunch, and ate their homemade pizza while getting the inside scoop. Yesterday, my only real meal was lunch, this time courtesy of the tour company that I've used to arrange some activities. I think everything is going to be free as a result of my journalistic credentials, but our arrangement is a little unclear, so I will be surprised, but not shocked, if the company presents me with a bill at the end.

-The festival starts tonight. There will be a press conference (a far more informal affiar, no doubt, than the press conference I attended on Tuesday. That was a the Center for Israeli-Argentine relations, and announced the launch of Operation Last Chance, the Simon Wiesenthal Foundation's program to track down Nazi war criminals living in the Southern Cone. I'll blog a little more about that when I return to the more ample internet access of the federal capital.

That's all for now, and apologies for no pictures...although I've borrowed a camera so will be featuring original photos for the first time on the blog when I return.

No comments: